Ever dreamed of playing your favorite video games for a living? Well, it’s possible. Thousands of people are earning money playing games today. You read that right – you can get paid to do what you love and play games.
Twitch streamers, YouTubers, and professional esports players are making a living playing games. While becoming a pro gamer or building a massive streaming following can take time, there are other ways to start earning money right now playing the games you already enjoy. You can sign up to test pre-release versions of games, compete in online tournaments and leagues for cash prizes, or teach other gamers by offering coaching services.
If you’ve got skills and passion for gaming, it’s time to start getting paid. Keep reading to learn how you can turn your hobby into a money-making venture. The gaming industry is huge and growing, with opportunities for people of all skill levels. It’s an exciting time to be a gamer. Start playing, build your skills, grow your audience, and the money will follow. You can get paid to do what you love – play games!
Introduction to Making Money by Playing Games
So you love playing games and are wondering if you can actually make money doing it. The good news is, yes you can! There are a few ways to earn cash for your gaming skills and passion.
Streaming on Twitch
One popular option is streaming yourself playing live on Twitch, the world’s leading live streaming platform for gamers. If you’re highly skilled or entertaining, you can make money from subscriptions, ads, and viewer donations. Build your following by streaming regularly, engaging with your viewers, and promoting your channel on other social media.
Do you dominate at certain multiplayer games? You might be able to win prize money competing in esports tournaments. Major esports leagues offer huge payouts, like Dota 2’s The International with a $40 million prize pool. Even smaller tournaments can pay out thousands. You’ll need to practice constantly and enter qualifiers to make it into major events.
Get paid to play unreleased games and provide feedback to developers. Game testing, or “beta testing”, means playing pre-launch versions of games to identify any bugs, glitches or issues. While typically low pay, around $10 to $20/hour, it’s a way for hardcore gamers to earn doing something they love. Many testing jobs are freelance or part-time.
If you’re highly skilled at a particular competitive game, in-game coaching may be an option. Coach less-experienced players to improve their skills and rank, charging $25 to $50/hour or more for your gaming expertise. You’ll need to build a reputation for being a top player and effective coach. Offer coaching on a freelance basis through your own website or on platforms like Gamers Academy.
With some dedication, you absolutely can make money playing and enjoying the games you love. Start building your skills, growing your audience, and looking for opportunities to get paid for your passion!
10 earn for playing games sites
- Swagbucks: Swagbucks offers a variety of ways to earn money, including playing games. You can earn SB points by completing gaming activities and redeem them for cash or gift cards.
- InboxDollars: InboxDollars allows you to earn money by playing games, watching videos, taking surveys, and more. They provide a variety of game options to earn rewards.
- Mistplay: Mistplay is an Android app that rewards you for playing mobile games. You can earn points and redeem them for gift cards or even cash through PayPal.
- CashDazzle: CashDazzle offers a range of casual games that you can play to win cash prizes. They also provide daily giveaways and jackpots.
- Playandwin: Playandwin is a gaming website where you can compete in various games against other players and win cash prizes. They offer a wide selection of games to choose from.
- Gamehag: Gamehag allows you to earn rewards by playing games, completing quests, and participating in various activities. You can redeem your earned points for gift cards or in-game items.
- GSN Cash Games: GSN Cash Games is a platform where you can play skill-based games and compete for cash prizes. They offer a range of popular games like solitaire, bingo, and casino games.
- PaidGamePlayer: PaidGamePlayer offers a variety of games, including arcade, puzzle, and strategy games. You can earn cash by playing games and participating in tournaments.
- Exodus3000: Exodus3000 is a multiplayer online game where you can earn virtual currency that can be exchanged for real money. The game is set in a futuristic world where you can explore, battle, and complete missions.
- Second Life: Second Life is a virtual world where you can create and explore different environments. You can earn real money by selling virtual goods and services within the game.
Popular Ways to Earn Money From Gaming
If playing games is your passion, you can actually get paid to do what you love. Here are some of the popular ways gamers earn money:
Live streaming your gaming sessions on Twitch or YouTube is a great way to make money playing video games. As you build your audience, you can monetize your channel through subscriptions, ads, and viewer donations. The more viewers and engagement you get, the more you can earn. Some top streamers make over $100,000 a year!
Creating Video Content
Posting “let’s play” videos, reviews, walkthroughs, and other gaming content on YouTube is a popular way to generate money from gaming. Enable ads on your videos and you’ll earn money through the YouTube Partner Program. The more views and likes your videos get, the more you can make. Don’t forget to be authentic and share knowledge that provides value to your viewers.
Competing in Esports
If you have skills in popular esports games like Dota 2, Fortnite, or Overwatch, you can compete in tournaments for cash prizes. Some major events have prize pools of over $30 million! You’ll need to practice constantly and compete at a high level to win, but if you’ve got the dedication, esports can be very lucrative.
Selling Virtual Items
Some games like Fortnite: Battle Royale, Dota 2, and CS:GO allow you to earn or purchase virtual in-game items that can be sold to other players. If you get valuable or rare items, you may be able to sell them on third-party marketplaces for actual money. The rarer the item, the higher the price it can fetch.
With passion and persistence, you can make money playing the games you love. But remember, it may take time to build up your skills, audience, and revenue, so keep at it and don’t get discouraged easily! The gaming industry continues to grow, and the opportunities for players are abundant.
Become a Video Game Tester
If you love playing video games, why not get paid to do it? Becoming a video game tester is a fun way to earn some extra money in your spare time.
Sign Up With a Testing Company
The first step is to register with a video game testing company. Some of the major companies that hire testers include Keywords Studios, Lionbridge, and Babel Media. Fill out their online application, submit your resume, and complete any screening assessments. If selected, the company will contact you about opportunities to test upcoming games.
Choose Your Platforms
Specify which gaming platforms you have access to and experience with, such as PlayStation, Xbox, Nintendo Switch, PC, or mobile. The more platforms the better, as you’ll have a wider range of testing opportunities. However, don’t claim to be an expert on platforms you’ve barely used. Be honest about your level of experience to get assignments that match your skills.
Test the Game
Once you accept an assignment, the game developer will provide everything you need to start testing, including the game itself, testing guidelines, and any necessary equipment. Your job is to play through as much of the game as possible, exploring all options and features, while documenting any issues, bugs, errors, or problems you encounter. Things like:
- Glitches or crashes
- graphics that don’t load properly
- Missions or quests that can’t be completed
- Links or buttons that don’t work
- Anything that seems out of the ordinary
Report your findings through the developer’s official portal, following their format and instructions precisely. Provide details to help them identify and fix the issues.
Most testing companies pay between $10 to $15 per hour. The actual amount depends on the game, platform, complexity, and your experience. While you won’t get rich, you can earn some decent side money doing something you genuinely enjoy. And who knows, with enough experience under your belt, you may be able to turn pro and land a full-time job as a tester. For gamers, that would be a dream come true!
Live Stream Your Gameplay on Twitch or YouTube
Live streaming your gameplay on platforms like Twitch or YouTube Gaming is a fun way to make money from playing video games. As a streamer, you play games live while providing entertaining commentary and interacting with viewers in your channel’s chat. The more popular your channel becomes, the more you can earn from subscriptions, ads, and sponsorships.
To get started, pick a streaming service and create your channel. Twitch is the most popular for gaming, but YouTube Gaming is also a good option. Come up with a catchy channel name and profile to help you stand out.
Choose games you genuinely enjoy and are skilled at playing. Viewers will be able to tell if you’re bored or frustrated, so stick with games you find fun and exciting. Play a variety of popular games to appeal to more viewers.
Stream on a regular schedule so your viewers know when to expect you live. Aim for at least a few hours a week at first, then increase from there as your channel grows. Engage with your viewers by chatting with them, answering their questions, and being enthusiastic on camera.
Once you build up a dedicated group of viewers and followers, you can apply to become a Twitch Affiliate or YouTube Partner. This will allow you to make money through subscriptions, channel sponsorships, and ads. With enough viewers and followers, you might even get sponsored by gaming accessory companies, esports organizations, or the games’ developers themselves.
Some tips to keep in mind:
•Use a high-quality mic and webcam to provide the best viewing experience.
•Be active and engaging on camera. React to gameplay and chat with your viewers.
•Promote your channel on other social media to increase viewership. Engage with your followers and build community.
•Thank new followers and subscribers on stream. Appreciate all your viewers and fans.
•Keep improving your content over time based on feedback. Take courses on streaming and being an influencer.
•Once you start making money, you’ll need to pay taxes on your streaming income. Keep good records of all revenue and expenses.
With time and dedication, you can turn playing video games into a lucrative career as a streamer. Build your audience, work with sponsors, improve your skills, and play games you genuinely love. Turn your passion into your profession!
Compete in Esports Tournaments
Competing in esports tournaments is a great way to earn money playing video games. Esports is competitive gaming at a professional level, and major esports events offer huge cash prizes. Some of the most popular esports games are Dota 2, League of Legends, Counter-Strike: Global Offensive, and Overwatch. These multiplayer battle arena games have millions of players and fans worldwide.
To get started with esports, pick a popular esports game and start practicing. Build up your skills through regular play, study strategies from top players, and find teammates to practice with. Once you’ve mastered the basics, compete in online qualifiers and smaller local LAN events to gain experience. If you place well, you’ll earn cash prizes and credibility that can help you get invited to larger events.
Major esports tournaments like The International, the League of Legends World Championship, and the Overwatch League Grand Finals have prize pools of $30 million or more. The top teams in these events can earn $5 million or more for a first-place finish. Even lower-placing teams can win hundreds of thousands. As an esports athlete, you can also earn money through sponsorships, streaming, coaching, and team salaries.
To become a pro esports player, dedicate the time to honing your skills and building your reputation. Find a team to join, as most major events are for pre-qualified teams, not individuals. Market yourself to attract sponsors and fans. If you’re good enough, you can travel the world competing in esports and make a full-time living playing the games you love.
While the path to pro esports isn’t easy, the potential rewards are huge. With hard work and persistence, you can turn your gaming passion into a lucrative esports career. If competing on stage isn’t for you, there are many other opportunities in the esports industry, such as shoutcasting, journalism, team management, and game development. The esports scene is growing fast, so now is the time to get involved, whether as a player, fan or professional.
Sell in-Game Assets and Accounts
One of the most lucrative ways to make money playing games is by selling in-game assets and accounts. Many popular games have thriving secondary markets where players buy and sell items, currency, and accounts. If you’ve spent time building up valuable in-game assets, you may be able to cash in.
- Sell rare items and loot. If you’ve acquired rare in-game items, weapons, gear or loot, you can sell them to other players for real money. Check sites like PlayerAuctions, IGXE, and G2G to see the going rates for your items. Price them competitively and you’ll find eager buyers.
- Sell in-game currency. Virtual currencies like V-Bucks (Fortnite), Robux (Roblox) and Linden Dollars (Second Life) can be sold for real money. Farm the currency by completing in-game tasks and challenges, then sell it on secondary markets. Buyers will pay roughly 50-80% of the item’s face value.
- Sell high-level accounts. Accounts with rare achievements, high player levels, unlocked skills, purchased upgrades and other valuable attributes can sell for a high price. Before selling, be sure to remove any personal information and turn off auto-renewal for subscriptions. Price accounts based on their features and how much time it would take a new player to reach the same level.
- Consider account boosting services. If you’re highly skilled at a game, you can offer to boost other players’ accounts in exchange for payment. Help them level up, complete difficult challenges, unlock achievements and acquire rare loot. Set your rates based on the time required and your level of expertise. Market your services on sites like Boosting Ground, Epic NPC and PlayerAuctions.
Following these tips, you can turn your gaming hobby into a money-making opportunity. While you may never earn a full-time living this way, you can generate solid side income by leveraging the time and skills you already have. And since you’re getting paid to do something you genuinely enjoy, it really is the perfect gig.
Write Game Reviews and Guides
Once you’ve mastered a game, you can turn your experience into cash by writing reviews and strategy guides for other players.
Write reviews of the games you play and know well for sites like GameSpot, IGN, and Metacritic. In your reviews, discuss the gameplay, controls, graphics, story, and your overall impressions to give readers an in-depth sense of what to expect. Be honest but professional, and give a rating or score to summarize your view. The more detailed and helpful your reviews are, the more likely readers will find them useful.
Some tips for crafting a great game review:
• Focus on features gamers care about like playability, controls, and graphics.
• Compare the game to similar titles to give context. But evaluate it on its own merits as well.
• Discuss both positives and negatives in a balanced, constructive way.
• Use an enthusiastic and engaging tone to keep readers interested.
• Check other reviews to ensure you’re not repeating what’s already been said. Provide your own unique insights.
• Revise and edit your review for clarity, flow, and a high-quality finished product.
• Build your reputation by reviewing many games to establish yourself as an expert.
• You can earn money through the site’s revenue sharing program or by becoming an official freelance reviewer. Top reviewers can make a decent side income.
Writing FAQs and Strategy Guides
For popular games, especially complex role-playing games (RPGs) and massively multiplayer online games (MMOs), you can write FAQs, walkthroughs, and strategy guides to help other players. These can provide an in-depth look at how to complete quests, defeat enemies, solve puzzles, and navigate the game world. Gamers frequently search out these guides, so they have the potential to generate lots of traffic and revenue.
Like reviews, provide helpful details and tips in an easy-to-read format using headings, numbered lists, and screenshots or images. Explain things thoroughly but concisely. And be sure to keep your content up to date with the latest updates, expansions, and downloadable content (DLC) for the game. With time and practice, you can become an expert guide writer in your favorite gaming genres.
Enter Giveaways and Sweepstakes
Entering giveaways and sweepstakes is an easy way to potentially win big without spending any money. Who knows, you might get lucky and win a life-changing jackpot! Even if the prizes are smaller, winning something for free still feels good.
Search online for “giveaways” and “sweepstakes” along with terms related to your interests like “gaming giveaways” or “tech sweepstakes”. Check sites that aggregate contests like SweepsAdvantage, ContestChest and Lucktastic. Look for giveaways on brands’ social media pages too. The more you enter, the better your chances of winning.
Read the Rules
Make sure you understand the rules and eligibility before entering. Things like age limits, location restrictions and entry limits are common. You want to avoid wasting time entering a giveaway you can’t win! See if you can get bonus entries for things like sharing on social media or subscribing to a newsletter. But only share and subscribe if you actually want to.
Keep Track of Entries
Once you start entering a bunch of giveaways, it can be hard to keep track of them all. Create a simple spreadsheet to log details for each giveaway like the sponsor, prize, entry deadline and number of entries you submitted. That way you’ll know when winners are announced and can follow up to claim your prize if selected!
Don’t get discouraged if you enter giveaway after giveaway without winning. Winning is mostly based on luck, so keep at it and your odds will improve over time. Staying patient and persistent is key. One day you’ll get that winning notification and the patience will have paid off!
While giveaways and sweepstakes ultimately come down to chance, employing strategy and diligence will maximize your opportunities to win. Keep searching, keep entering and keep hoping—you never know which entry might be the lucky winner! Staying optimistic and consistent is the best approach.
FAQ – Answering Common Questions About Earning From Games
You probably have a lot of questions about how to actually start making money playing games. Here are the answers to some of the most frequently asked questions.
How much can I really make?
The amount you can earn varies depending on the games you play and how much time you put in. Some people are able to make a few hundred dollars a month, while others earn thousands. The key is finding the right opportunities and dedicating enough time to them.
What kind of games can I play to earn money?
There are a few main options:
- Playtest new games still in development. Game companies will pay playtesters to try out new games and provide feedback. They typically pay $10 to $20 per hour.
- Compete in esports tournaments. If you’re highly skilled at certain games, you can enter competitions to win prize money. Top players can win hundreds of thousands of dollars.
- Stream yourself playing games on Twitch or YouTube. Build up an audience and get paid through subscriptions, ads, sponsorships and viewer donations. Top streamers make millions a year.
- Play game-related apps and websites. Try apps and sites like Mistplay, Gamehag, and Swagbucks which pay you to play mobile games, complete gaming quests, and take gaming surveys. You can earn cash, gift cards and in-game rewards.
- Sell virtual goods. If you put in the time to progress in certain multiplayer games, you can sell valuable in-game items, resources, and virtual currency for real money. Players of games like Diablo 3, Dota 2, and Second Life make thousands a month this way.
How do I get started?
- Pick the games or options you want to focus on. Choose games you genuinely enjoy and are skilled at.
- Set up any necessary accounts and equipment. This could include a Twitch channel, YouTube channel, or profiles on game-related apps and websites. You may need a capture card to record gameplay.
- Promote your channels and profiles to build an audience. Engage with your viewers and subscribers. Collaborate with other gamers.
- Put in the hours required to progress and get good at the games. Practice and compete as much as possible.
- Look for sponsorships and other ways to monetize. Once you have a sizable audience, companies may sponsor your content. You can also join esports teams or sell merchandise.
- Stay up to date with trends in gaming. Keep tabs on popular new games, streaming platforms, and ways to make money playing so you can get in on the ground floor of new opportunities.
The keys to success are picking the right games, dedicating the time to become highly skilled, building an audience, and constantly improving your ability
Well there you have it, folks. A few ways you can earn money while doing what you love – playing games. Whether it’s streaming on Twitch, starting a YouTube channel, writing strategy guides, or testing games, there are opportunities out there if you look for them. Sure, it may take time to build up your audience or land some steady work, but if you go into with realistic expectations, stay consistent, and don’t get discouraged easily, you’ll be well on your way to making money from your gaming passion. While the competition is fierce, your unique voice, skills, and style can help set you apart. If you have a love of gaming and enjoy creating content or sharing knowledge, give one of these options a shot. You never know, it could turn into a lucrative and rewarding gig that doesn’t even feel like work. Now get out there and start leveling up your gaming career! The opportunities are out there waiting for you.